Entering Awards: What not to do
1. Be careful not to eliminate yourself before you start, so pay particular attention to this message on page 2 of your entry form:
“Ensure that any reference to your agency name or names of individuals agency are not saved in the following sections”. This is to ensure anonymity is maintained and the judging remains impartial.
2. Make sure your entry is in the right category!
3. Make certain that you complete all sections of the entry form and that you don’t exceed the specified word limits in any section.
4. Make sure that your objectives are clearly defined. Tell the judges what you were aiming to achieve with your campaign and clearly set down how well you achieved it.
Why you should enter
1. Raise your company profile. Winning a Smart Marketing Award can significantly raise your company profile and gain you respect from your peers.
2. Helps with business planning. It’s a valuable analysis of your campaign performance, which can contribute to strategic business planning.
3. Invaluable media coverage. You have the opportunity to gain extensive media attention, as well as valuable publicity. This will help you to attract new customers, and increase the respect from your existing client base.
4. Network with fellow business leaders. Attending the Awards programme of events, the Awards Gala Night and subsequent events gives you the opportunity to network with other business leaders and professionals.
5. Expert assessment of your work. By entering, you benefit from an independent assessment of your campaigns by some of the smartest minds in business. This can contribute to planning and strategy.
6. Boost staff morale and retention. Achieving recognition in the Smart Marketing Awards can have a positive effect on staff morale, motivation and retention, as it acknowledges their contribution to your business success.
7. Acknowledge staff and customer loyalty. Attending the Awards Gala Night gives you an opportunity to thank staff and customers for their loyalty to your business, as well as impressing potential new customers by offering them your hospitality.
8. Helps attract smart staff. When recruiting new staff, being a Smart Marketing Award winning business can help you attract smart candidates.
9. Impressive Fox Trophy. Impress your existing and potential customers by displaying the impressive Fox Trophy in your workplace.
How to Write a Winning Entry Workshop 15th February 2017
1. Sell the concept to the judges the way you would sell it to a client. Make it as easy as possible for a judge to see how smart your campaign is. Explain everything in a helpful, personal tone which everyone will find easy to understand. The best way to achieve this is to keep your sentences and your paragraphs short and avoid using jargon.
2. Take your time and carefully tell the judges about your target audience. You have 100 words at your disposal, so use them imaginatively.
3. Pay particular attention to the 300 word ‘executive summary’ on the entry form. This is a hugely influential section right at the start of your entry form, so make it as interesting as you possibly can.
4. Keep your entry lively and fresh from start to finish. Avoiding repetition means you won’t lose the judges’ interest.
5. Results are important – a judge must be able to decide how well your campaign performed against the objectives and the budget. You have 375 words at your disposal. If the information is confidential, use a few of these words to say that.
6. Pay attention to the ‘final considerations’ part of your entry form. You have up to 100 words to state any additional reason why you consider your entry to be outstanding. Use this section to tell the judges something fresh and new.
7. Make sure that your entry form is readily understood by everyone. Before you submit your entry, ask someone who knows nothing about the project or campaign to have a look at it for you. If they understand it, so will the judges.
How to write a winning entry workshop took place in the GPO on Wednesday 15th February 2017.
The event was hosted by David O’Sullivan, award winning copywriter and founder of integrated direct marketing, advertising and promotions agency Ignition. At the 2017 An Post Smart Marketing Awards Ignition won 3 Golds and 4 Silvers. At the 2016 Awards Ignition won the coveted Agency of the Year for the second time, along with; 3 Golds, 5 Silvers and 6 Bronze Awards.
RUNING ORDER OF WORKSHOP
9.15 Arrival tea and coffee
9.30 The application form deconstructed with David O’Sullivan, tips, ideas and suggestions.
10.45 Tea and coffee break
11.00 Let’s write a winner together
For more email [email protected]
The workshop will take place again in 2018